Sunday, November 23, 2008

Teething!!!

Yes you read it right, teething! Already! Xander is 4 months old today, and yesterday he started teething! From what I've read this normally happens around 7 months, but can happen as early as 3 months (in rare cases earlier) or as late as 12. Chris and I have come to realize Xander doesn't like to do anything "normal"! ha ha

So here's the story... Yesterday started out pretty average, I should also mention all week, especially Friday he was like a faucet with the drool, first sign, anyways I had plans to go grocery shopping in the morning, then Grandma Nancy was going to take Xander for the night so Chris and I could celebrate our 6 year anniversary (Yay us!), well I should learn never to make plans by now. When I gave Xander his 2nd bottle of the day he started to drink it then started screaming, we fought back and forth like this, he was so hungry but every time I gave him the bottle he just cried more and more, it got to the point where he was just crying and crying, only soothed by walking him around the house distracting him. But he couldn't eat, all day we tried to feed him, he maybe had 2 ounces out of each of his afternoon bottles, and he was so obviously in pain, he couldn't stop crying. Of course Chris and I tried everything the baby book said, tylenol, teething rings - I have like 10 of these all too big for his tiny little mouth, and he can't hold them in by himself, he can put stuff in his mouth but he's not that coordinated yet especially when it's so big for his mouth, I tried rubbing his gums - as the book instructed and that's when it was 100% definite he as teething, he screamed his little head off when I put any pressure, Chris made an emergency trip to Walgreens for baby oragel which only stopped his crying when he tasted how sweet it was then proceeded with the screaming. Needless to say, it was a LONG day. I felt so terrible for him, he seemed just SO SO miserable! Around 7:30pm he finally calmed down, drank almost a whole bottle and played with Chris and I (doing EVERYTHING to distract him) until almost 9:00 when he went to bed.
He's doing better today, I have stopped putting rice cereal in his bottles like I normally do, from what I can tell the cereal was making him have to suck harder and it was hurting him, with just formula he doesn't hardly have to suck and it's easier. I tested this theroy this morning, I was right. Other than that he's ok today, not too cranky, calmer, but still not totally happy.
This afternoon I'm going to make another attempt at the grocery store.

Also any suggestions, advice, anything is welcome on this subject, I knew it was coming but was in a bit of denial all week about it, I guess I figured it wouldn't happen so soon. We will be holding off on trying his first veggie (we were hoping this week) until he's gotten through this teething thing, or at least gotten more used to it, no need to rush. I wanted to let everyone know that his 4 month doctor appointment and shots that were due this Monday have been rescheduled to December 3rd : ( But mom and I did try to weigh him the other day (we took turns holding him on the scale) he's between 14 and 15lbs! And has now grown out of the 3-6months clothes (but only in length, he's still wearing size 1 diapers! He's got a tiny butt!)

No comments:

The Map