Sunday, February 1, 2009

Bye, Bye Miracle Blanket!!

We did it!! SUCCESS!!! It only took 2 days and now Xander is sleeping swaddle free with NO fuss! Yay! I honestly can't believe it, it feels like such a huge step for us.
First, if you've never seen it here's a couple pictures of Xander wrapped up in one of his miracle blanket's It's kinda like a baby straight jacket, lol, the only thing that worked for our little escape artist...
Photobucket
Photobucket
probably the BEST investment I ever made. It has brought us 6 amazing months of sleep, something parents of newborns rarely get, but we were blessed. I believe him going to work with me everyday and that swaddle are the two reasons he has slept 11-12 hours a night, since he was 1 1/2 months old! Yes you read that right.

I have read and doctor confirmed at his 6 month appointment that you shouldn't really use a swaddle past 6 months (also it's about at the point where they won't fit him anymore). I have been really nervous about letting go of the swaddle and putting him in bed with the dreaded blanket! lol I guess I read too much, but I see a baby with all those blankets and it just terrifies me! All the dangers, but I have to admit Xander's old enough to roll all around in his bed so with blanket he should be fine. We decided to wait until the weekend to try no swaddle at bedtime (we wanted to make sure we could sleep in the next day if he kept us up all night haha) and Friday was our first try. Amazingly it took no more to get him to bed than usual, I had to go in his room 3 times to reassure him and tuck him back in (but that can happen any day really) and he fell asleep at 7:30pm woke up at 4:40am, I found him on his tummy with his hands propping him up screaming, it was kinda cute lol. Then he slept until 6:30am and then until 9:30am! It was wonderful! I haven't slept till 9:30 in too too long, it always seems like he only sleeps in on the weekdays when I have to be up and getting ready, but I got lucky this weekend. Xander then took his first nap without swaddle but the 2nd one he got too cranky and wouldn't sleep so we, well I, gave in and wrapped him. Last night we went no swaddle till 4:30am once again then I wrapped him and he slept till 6:30 and then he woke up again at 7:30 so not a fabulous morning, but he's already napping now at 9:30 completely unwrapped. I think I will not be wrapping him up again from now on.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Way to go, that's great!
11-12 hours is amazing. Moses won't sleep more than 3 or 4 hours! You're one lucky lady!

Sarah said...

Yeah! So happy you guys made it through, and so fast! We switched from the swaddle to sleep sack. Not sure if you've seen them or not but the are armless sacks that zip up over pj's. Helps keep them warm at night and ensures they keep a blanket "on" them. We do those and a blanket and our boys have done great with them! Rest easy. Xander will do great with his blanket!

Susan said...

I'm still thinking about 11-12 hours and I'm green with envy :)

The Map