Tuesday, May 5, 2009

No, no...

This week we are learning Boundaries... ha ha I read in my baby books it's about the right time to start working on discipline. Although that can be difficult with a wild, curious, exceptionally adventurous 9 month old. He has started to show some understanding of the word "no" and shakes his head side to side when I say "no". We started with just a corner, a corner of un-baby proofed room, it's next to the fireplace and it's where the plugs for the tv and cable go into the wall, kinda hard to baby proof. So I thought it would be a good place to start teaching Xander boundaries. When he goes near this "off-limits" corner, I say "no, no" and shake my head no, Xander will look at the corner then at me and then shake his head "no, no, no" at the corner. It's very cute. Sometimes he will heed my warnings and go on to play somewhere else, but other times he will test those limits. He'll inch closer and closer, while watching me, as soon as I get up to stop him he goes for it! haha Then he goes into his play pen for a "time out" not really much of a punishment, just a good way to re-focus that energy and re-enforce consequences. He'll play in the playpen for about 10-15minutes than I take him out and give him back the freedom to crawl all over his play room again. I think it's working... we'll see!

No comments:

The Map